Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Great Plate Debate

I can't believe I finished the last day of my LSAT prep class!  The test is on Monday, and it will be such a relief when it is O-V-E-R!!

No LSAT class will also mean I can photograph my lunches!  Which also means they will no longer consist of turkey and cheese wraps shoved into plastic baggies which I'm forced to consume during our 30 second break during class!

It's the little things that make me smile :)

Dinner
For dinner, we made a very simple and healthy meal:


  • 1/2 piece of Alaskan salmon  (It came frozen in a box from Sam's Club...delish!)  (7 PP for a whole, so 4 PP for half)
  • Salad with mixed greens, carrots, tomatoes, and cucumbers  (0 PP)
  • Balsamic Vinegar dressing  (0 PP)
  • Sweet potato with extra cinnamon!  (4 PP)
Tonight, I also wanted to talk about the idea behind (what I like to call) "The Great Plate Debate":

Source
A few months ago, I read Naturally Thin by Bethenny Frankel.  

Besides the fact that I love her savvy business sense and sarcastic wit, I also found her book to be very informational!

In Naturally Thin, she encourages people to downsize their plates.  

Because we prepare our meals and usually end up eating whatever is on the plate (whether recognizing we're full or not), our plate size makes a huge difference in how much food we consume!  

If we use a smaller plate, the plate is full so we automatically think we're eating more than we are.

However, if you put the same amount of food on a bigger plate, you will feel that you're getting ripped off.  This can be especially prevalent in dieters, because we sometimes already feel deprived!!  

Tonight I decided to test out this theory:

After I put my salmon on a large, typical dinner plate, I remember thinking, "Hmm...that's all I get?!?"


Then, I put the same food on a smaller (appetizer) plate to see the difference and it really turned my thinking around:


All of a sudden, I thought, "Okay, that's definitely enough!"  

This is great to use when you're trying to get used to smaller portions because many of us perceive how satisfying/filling something will be even before we eat it!  

It definitely worked for me :)  Let me know if you try it!!